News

Huey P. Long Bridge Recognized as a Historic Civil Engineering Landmark

When American Bridge completed the Huey P. Long Bridge in 1935, it was the first New-Orleans-area Mississippi River crossing to accommodate both railroad cars and automobiles. In September of 2012, the ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) held a ceremony, recognizing the bridge in its Historic Civil Engineering Landmark Program.

In just ten months, American Bridge fabricated and erected a 1,850’ cantilevered truss over the Mississippi River under AB Order No. G-4751. The three-span cantilever unit consists of two 529’ anchor arms and a 790’ mainspan consisting of two 145’ cantilever arms and a 500’ suspended span. It was constructed by the balanced cantilever method, working in both directions from both piers. An additional 528’ simple, through truss span flanks the New Orleans side of the main cantilever unit. This simple span was constructed by cantilevering via a temporary tie to the cantilever unit.