July 01, 1962
American Bridge completed the fabrication and erection of this 2,100' bridge that still connects Pittsburgh with its suburb of Sharpsburg today. The road carries Pennsylvania Route 8 and is the third crossing in this location - the first was the wooden Allegheny Bridge, 1856, and the second was the narrow Sharpsburg Bridge, 1901. The latter still stands just upstream from the existing structure, its replacement, built in 1962. The Robert D. Fleming Bridge is a 16-span bridge over the Allegheny River, named after a former Republican Pennsylvania State Senator. The crossing includes a four-span truss channel unit of 1,054’ with a 400’ center span, and a three-span girder unit of 494’ with a 227’ center span over an active railroad right of way.